Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup with Lime and Avocado is delightfully tangy and filling. But the best part of this soup is how easy it is to make in the slow cooker.
When my kids were very little, I would hand them chalk and let them draw all over the concrete foundation of the house. There were squiggles and flowers, rainbows and balloons. And though the chalk didn’t wash away quite as easily as I expected (what? rain wasn’t enough?), I loved seeing all their little drawings there.
Those were simpler times.
Long before school buses and homework, lunch boxes and sports teams, they were just my little people clutching chalk in their fists. They were just my two littles, dressing up in costumes, running around the house and learning to play, love and be in their worlds.
I miss those times.
While there’s much to love about having older kids, childhood is fleeting. And, as they grow, the sweet, simplicity of cuddles and butterfly kisses gets replaced with complex problems and complicated lessons.
But it also gets replaced with some pretty rad things too — like being able to transfer some responsibility to your kids. Doing laundry, helping with dinners … those are totally doable for kids even younger than mine. And then when they get older, they can take an even bigger role in it.
Easy, reliable recipes make giving older kids dinner duty a cinch. Armed with a slow cooker, this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup with Lime and Avocado recipe is easy for cooks of all experience levels to toss together.
Plus, it’s pretty amazing when your kids make dinner. It’s a whole new level of amazement in them. Raising people is pretty cool.
But even if your kids aren’t making it, this soup is worth trying.
This delightful slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is tangy, filling and filled with flavors I love. The creamy avocado, meaty black beans, tomatoes and lots of chicken taste perfect together. And the hearty dose of cilantro is the ideal garnish.
What’s great about this soup is that it’s made in one pot. A slow cooker (or crockpot, if you prefer to call it that), to be exact. Plus it’s nut-free and dairy-free, which makes it food for a variety of diets.
So why not try it? Toss it together in the morning, and it will be ready to enjoy in the evening. That’s pretty amazing too.
You can find this recipe in my newest cookbook, Easy Frugal Cookbook. You’ll love this book full of 100 recipes with 10 ingredients or less created with budgets in mind.
Easy Frugal Cookbook was released by Rockridge Press on July 7. Have you ordered your copy yet?
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 10-oz can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 14.5-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 limes
- 1 cup rough-chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 small corn tortillas, cut into strips
- To the bowl of a slow cooker, add the onion, garlic, chicken broth, tomatoes, black beans and chicken breasts. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the cover and use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Juice 1 ½ limes, reserving the other half, and add the juice to the slow cooker. Stir in the cilantro, avocado and tortillas.
- Cut the remaining ½ lime into 4 wedges.
- Serve the soup with a wedge of lime.
Budget Trick: If chicken breasts are too spendy, try making this with boneless chicken thighs. Just be sure to trim visible fat before cooking; otherwise, the soup will be greasy.