Is it really Tuesday? You’d think that working from home, I wouldn’t be phased by the short workweek — but I am. It’s hard to believe that we’re nearly half-way through the week already. It’s got me a little off-kilter today.
In any case, we had an awesome past few days. This holiday weekend was so much fun, filled with family parties, good laughs and splashes in the pool.
And, of course, we cooked out a lot.
On Sunday, we had some of our family over for a barbecue. We served hamburgers, hot dogs, Antipasti Pasta Salad, tossed salad and this German Potato Salad.
I adore German Potato Salad. The combination of sweet red potatoes, tangy vinaigrette and salty bacon just can’t be beat. You can bet we’ll be having this again and again this summer.
How was your long weekend?
- 2 lbs medium red potatoes, , sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 4 slices bacon, , chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Boil the potatoes until just tender (about 15 minutes), then immediately drain well. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Brown the bacon in a small skillet until crisp. Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and then transfer to the large bowl.
- Whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, parsley, sugar, paprika, salt and pepper. Pour immediately over the potatoes and stir well to combine.
- Serve immediately, warm, or chill until ready to serve.
Psst! Got kids? I give mine chalk and let them draw all over the foundation. It washes right off … and is so much fun. Try it!
Note: This recipe originally appeared in my column on FabulousFoods.com.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of four cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to a tween and a teen, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.