With this small batch recipe for Slow Cooker Hoisin Chicken Wings for Two, you can enjoy wings on game day (or whenever) without a lot of fuss or excess.
Growing up, my family had a tradition of making flavorful hot wings to eat on New Year’s Eve. Orange in color and saucy, those wings were something to look forward to, even if it always seemed to take so long to make them.
But hot wings aren’t for everyone. And even I sometimes want wings in a different flavor profile. Fortunately, there are many ways to flavor wings — and many aren’t even spice.
This recipe for Slow Cooker Hoisin Chicken Wings isn’t spicy. Instead, it delivers a rich and nuanced flavor in a simple, easy and fuss-free way.
Not bad, right?
This recipe, which is for a pound of wings (that’s about 12 wings), begins with a dry spice rub that permeates the meat while it cooks. Finished in the oven with a hoisin-based glaze, these wings are rich with flavor and perfect for the wing lover who wants to avoid the heat of hot wing recipes.
If you like rich, nuanced flavors, Slow Cooker Hoisin Chicken Wings for Two is the recipe for you.
Unfamiliar with hoisin sauce? That’s okay — it’s probably available in your favorite grocery store in the international aisle near the teriyaki sauce, soy sauce and similar ingredients. This rich, thick sauce is a favorite of mine.
Of course if you are looking for a spicy wing recipe, I can help with that too. Try my recipe for Spicy Habanero Hot Wings instead.
Now, who’s ready to throw some wings in the slow cooker to dig into later?
- 1 lb split chicken wings
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoned rice vinegar
- Place the split chicken wings (that means broken into wingettes and drumettes with tips removed and discarded) in a slow cooker. A mid-sized one (mine is 4 quarts) works perfectly for this amount of wings. If you double the recipe, it should work fine in that size slow cooker as well -- but any larger quantities will need a larger slow cooker.
- In a small bowl thoroughly combine the ground ginger, smoked paprika, light brown sugar and salt. Sprinkle over the wings and stir well to combine.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours, until cooked through. Remove the wings to a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the hoisin, soy sauce and rice vinegar until smooth. Brush on the wings.
- Set an oven rack to 4-inches below the broiler coil. Broil the wings for 6-8 minutes, flipping once and re-basting with sauce, until browned. Enjoy.