Tart rhubarb and sweet white chocolate provide a pleasant contrast in this Rhubarb White Chocolate Muffins recipe.
Warm muffins from the oven have a way of making a morning special. They scent the air with the fragrant aroma of baked goods and call the family to the kitchen. I especially love enjoying a muffin warm from the oven with a dollop of butter.
How about you?
These lovely spring muffins begin with rhubarb. Rhubarb has a dreadfully short growing season, so whenever it’s available, I buy as much as I can so that we can enjoy it well into the year. I especially like baking extra muffins and freezing them for later.
Pro tip: Using a Food Saver for this is a great idea, but you’ll want to freeze the muffins first otherwise the Food Saver will suck all the airiness out of them.
Once the rhubarb is all diced up, making these Rhubarb White Chocolate Muffins is a breeze. In fact, making muffins in general is a breeze. Seriously, this is just about the simplest baked good you can make.
Having a large cookie scoop (which bears a striking resemblance to the ice cream scoop we had in the 80s) makes filling the muffin papers also a breeze. If you don’t have one, I highly recommend it.
Then all that’s left to do is bake the Rhubarb White Chocolate Muffins. They’ll rise in the oven getting all fluffy and wonderful. And one sniff of the air will bring the family calling to see what’s baking. That’s pretty rad too.
Ready to dig in? These Rhubarb White Chocolate Muffins are one of my very favorite varieties. I love the contrast of the tart rhubarb with the sweet white chocolate chips in these.
Sweet-tart is truly a wonderful combination.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup small diced fresh rhubarb (about ¼-inch to ½-inch pieces)
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- coarse sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-slot muffin tin with muffin liners. If using paper liners, spray each one lightly with cooking oil spray to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and oil. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth, about 1 minute, and then let sit for 10 minutes. Stir in the rhubarb and white chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin liners. If desired, sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar.
- Slide the muffin tin into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden. A toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins should come out cleanly.
- Remove from the oven. These can be enjoyed immediately, or stored in an airtight container for up to five days.