This recipe for pumpkin soup with canned pumpkin is easy peasy to pull together and absolutely delightful to slurp.
I never quite appreciated fall as soup season until I moved to Maine about eight years ago. When the autumn chill sets in, there’s nothing like a soup of warm, comforting soup to spread comfort through your body. Seriously, it’s a natural fit.
And now that I appreciate soup more than ever, I am realizing how essential it is to have go-to recipes that requite little more than knowing the right mix of ingredients to create something uniquely wonderful.
Oh, soup. You are a delight.
This easy recipe for Pumpkin Soup with canned pumpkin is an extra special delight because it’s just so easy. Dice an onion. Mince some garlic. Brown the onion. Stir in the garlic. Add the remainder of the ingredients and then let it simmer for a half-hour. It’s practically hands-off. And when it’s done cooking, the silky soup with bits of onion and garlic is divine.
Ladle it into your favorite bowls. Top it with something crisp or crunchy. I recommend either pepitas or frizzled onions. But pea shoots or other greens can be nice too. And then dig in.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 15-oz cans pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pot on a burner set to medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the broth and stir well. Then add the pumpkin puree, apple cider, sage, rosemary, paprika, a bit of salt and pepper to the pot and stir vigorously to incorporate. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low, covering the pot to simmer for 30 minutes. Stir a couple times during the simmering.
- Uncover, stir and taste. Add more salt or pepper till it tastes like your ideal comfort food.
- Divide into bowls. Garnish as desired with pepitas, frizzled onions, pea shoots or other greens.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 366mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 11gSugar: 16gProtein: 6g