Parmesan Rosemary Sweet Potato Fries

| April 7, 2008 | 72 Comments

This is my very favorite sweet potato fries recipe. Parmesan Rosemary Sweet Potato Fries are sweet, savory and absolutely craveworthy.

Sweet Potato Fries

He said it would never happen. Ever.

He said that I should just accept that his tastes are what they are and they aren’t changing.

He. Was. Wrong.

You know. It was hard enough to believe in January when Shawn asked — yes, asked — to try some sweet potato fries that I’d whipped up. Sweet potatoes. One of the many, many vegetables that he turns his nose up to. It was even more of a surprise when he liked those sweet potato fries. Yes, and the moral of that story is that if you treat a picky man like a two-year-old and don’t offer him any, he’ll want to try whatever it is. I jest. I jest. That’s really not the moral.

The moral is that when it comes to food, never say never. Anyway, back to the story, it was absolutely unbelievable when he started whipping up batches himself.

See, unlike his old standby corn, sweet potatoes for these fries don’t come in a can. And unlike his occasional concession of a salad, these sweet potatoes don’t come double washed, sliced and ready to go. No sir, he actually has to peel them and slice them into fry shapes by hand . . . and he does. Willingly.

How to Make Sweet Potato Fries

Hallelujah, there is some hope. Now, to get him to try more.

In the meantime, we’ve been having these babies weekly. So delicious. The savory aspects of rosemary and Parmesan offset the natural sweetness of the potato. They also crisp up nicely if you don’t overload the baking sheet and leave no room for flipping (sorry, Yoko! Learned that the hard way!).

I like to sprinkle a little extra salt just before serving . . .

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed to get new posts delivered to your inbox. You can also become a fan of Sarah’s Cucina Bella on Facebook.

Parmesan Rosemary Sweet Potato Fries

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 4 servings
Ingredients
  • 1½ lb sweet potatoes
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • sea salt
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
  • ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (preferably the easy release kind).
  2. Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut into strips that are about ¼ inch wide on each side.
  3. Place the sweet potatoes into a large bowl. Add oil, salt, and rosemary. Stir well to thoroughly coat the fries. Stir in ⅔ of the Parmesan. Spread out onto the baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
  4. Cook for 20-25 minutes, turning about halfway through. Fries are done when they are browned around the edges. Transfer immediately to a paper towel lined plate and serve warm.

————————————————————–

More Sweet Potato Recipes:

Tags:

Category: Recipes, side dishes, sweet potato fries, vegetables

Sarah Walker Caron is a writer, editor and recipe developer who loves to create delicious recipes the whole family can enjoy together. Her work has appeared in countless publications including iVillage, BELLA NYC Magazine, Yum for Kids magazine and more. She lives in Maine with her two food-loving kids.

1. Oh whatever! I LOVE mushy fries. I am the type to seek out the weird mushy ones in MCDonald’s fries…so those were perfect. Rosemary and Parmesean..I’ll have to try that.

2. mike says:

I want these now! with crumbled goat cheese and balsamic-caramelized onions…

3. Patti says:

Yum! these look great, just like the fingerlings I plan to prepare soon…

I’m with Cate, Sarah. Beautiful photos.

4. Sophie says:

I love sweet potatoes, but it’s never occurred to me to eat them as fries! What a great idea, and I bet the rosemary enhances their naturally sweet flavor too :).

5. Foodaholic says:

Sweet potato fries are so amazing. Adding rosemary and parmesan will make them even better. Thanks for the idea!

6. Little Cooker says:

I’m so glad I found these before I went to the store! Thanks. :D

7. Oza Meilleur says:

Oh now, see what you’ve done…

It’s going on 5 p.m., here in sunny Montréal, and I was trying my best not to think about FOOD.

But now, off I go to the grocery store to pick up sweet potatoes, fresh rosemary, and Parmesan.

Thanks for the lovely temptation :-)

Hugs and love,
    Mudd a.k.a. Oza
    xoxo

Thanks everyone. Yep, these are so delish… In fact, I think we’ll be having them again very, very soon.

Oza and Little Cooker, I hope you check back and tell me what you thought!

9. Yvette says:

I’m just about to cook these as a side dish with dinner. So yum; I love sweet potato chips. Thanks for a baking recipe (as opposed to deep-fried). They are sure to be a success! Thank you!

10. BunnygotBlog says:

I love this recipe:)
    When I bake fries. I use sweet potatoes.Usually rosemary and garlic or basil. So Yummy!

11. Barbara says:

Hi…

I’m one of those that just ” Stumbled ” onto your delightful website.

I’m addicted to great food blogs and when I come across one, I bookmark it, as I did yours.

Thanks for the wonderful recipes and incredible photos.

12. Maureen says:

I just found your site and am loving the food and photos. These look so good! I usually make them with Herbes de Provence, but the Parmesan and rosemary sound delicious. These will be a big hit at our house! Thank you.

13. Shine says:

Bon Fritts!
    What a great simple recipe.
    Thanks.

14. Alisa says:

This is a great recipe! What gorgeous pictures you have here!

15. Grey says:

I bet these would be great with the rosemary goat cheese that we have, rather than with just Parmesan :3

Thank you for the recipe!

16. Hashim says:

I like sweet potatoes, even just fresh baked sweet potatoes taste great!

Thank you all!

Grey, that sounds interesting, but I would be concerned with the goat cheese burning during cooking. Hard cheeses tend to do better in this type of application so perhaps asiago could change up the taste for you?

18. Coby says:

I was rolling with laughter reading this, since my husbands standby veggies are corn and salad! I will definately try these to broaden his horizon!
    Thanks.

19. Metroknow says:

I found this page via StumbleUpon, and I was really thrilled to see this recipe. We first came across sweet potato fries in New Zealand when it was in season around May or so, and we were instantly hooked.

Thank you for sharing this – and the beautiful photos.

Best,
    Metroknow

20. Tabin says:

Yummy! wanna grab that and eat.

21. Foodycat says:

I am one of those who stumbled – and what a fantastic idea! I have made sweet potato wedges with rosemary many times, but never with parmsan. Yum!

22. Wow! Thank you. I am always on the lookout for new recipes and these look wonderful. Great photos also.

23. rosaldoo says:

Love this idea! I’m going to make these for my hubby tommorrow.

24. SweetSpudFryLover says:

I found this using stubleupon . . . Sweet Potato fries have always been a favorite, but I’ve only had plain ones, this opens tons of new ideas!

25. Sheree says:

Great photos and wonderful idea and yes i found you with stumble upon and bookmarked it too. can’t wait to try these new twist on fries looks andf sounds yummy

26. Genesis says:

I`m not a fan of sweet potatoes, but I`m thinking I might just try this . . .

As for men acting like picky two year olds, I`ve never had success with the not offering trick. sigh. My man is happy with his tortillas, meat and guacamole.

27. alejandra says:

I love this! So good and cute story. Very trube about the guys. Found you through stumble!

28. lauren says:

Stumbler here. Delicious idea and healthy too! I’m so psyced to make these for my boyfriend! They are pretty simple and will the make the apartment smell great after cooking.

29. bill says:

my girlfriend loves sweet potato’s I will try this and let you know

30. Jaime says:

These look great, I’ve roasted sweet potato wedges, but never like yours. Thank you!

31. Karey says:

If you are ever in Vegas go to the Burger Bar they have sweet potato fries and they are absolutely dilish!

32. Kham Tran says:

Love the recipe. I’ll be giving it a try for sure.

33. Ronald says:

Tasted great but were mushy. Ok though.

34. Peko Peko says:

Oh, those look absolutely wonderful!!

Sweet potato, nice!

Peko

35. Deborah Dowd says:

I love sweet potato fries and the combination of parmesan and rosemary sounds really terrific!

36. Yummy, yummy, yummy! I’ve made sweet potato fries but never with rosemary. I’ll have to try them that way. I love the start to finish pictures you have.

37. Amanda says:

Oh man! I just made these for dinner. I feel like a pig because I just ate an entire sweet potato all by myself.

I couldn’t get them brown like you did, but I didn’t mind because they are SOOOOOO yummy.

Sweet potato fries are the newest craze in my house!!

38. Sarah Parker says:

I like your moral to the story! I like the idea of parmesean and rosemary! YUM!!!

39. Pants says:

Ahhh these are so good!
    I StumbleUpon food blogs all the time, and when I find a recipe that looks good, I’ll bookmark it but I never get around to making them.
    Until TONIGHT when I decided to cook and went through all my bookmarks to find something.
    Had to run to the store to grab some sweet potatoes and parmesan, but it was worth it 100%.
    I think they’ll be a new Thanksgiving thing :)

40. UK Foodie says:

Will definitely be trying these – thanks for the recipe.

UK Foodies

41. Jessie says:

Oh wow, I think I’m drooling! Looks great!

+Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

42. sheltonpounce says:

I made these last night as an accompaniment to parmesan pork scallopini with mushroom sauce. Perfect. Thanks for the idea.

43. nicole gatteri says:

I am with your husband. I don’t care for sweet potatos either. I was introduced to the fries while on vacation in florida. I loved them. So, I bought a sweet potato and stumbled upon your site. All I can say is YUMMY!

44. FoodRenegade says:

I love sweet potato fries and their many variations. One thing I get a kick out of is the variety of sauces you can eat them with. My favorite is a homemade chipotle cilantro mayo.
    Thanks!

45. Grey says:

Oh my god. I made these with chicken for dinner last night, and they were FANTASTIC. I’m so totally excited about them that I may have to make them on Friday night as well. ;)

46. Eric Hoffman says:

I have not tried sweet potato fries quite like this yet. Looks great. Its on the list!

47. Rachel Bunk says:

This is a wonderful recipe that my family and I have done so many times! its great

Rachel Bunk

48. Jessica says:

I used this recipe a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it. I am making them again tonight.

49. Topinfoblog says:

I like yummy potato , very nice fries thank you

50. Elizabeth says:

AMAZING recipe!! When I made it the fries were mushy, though, and I left them in for 35 mins. Any recommendations for how to fix that?

51. Emily says:

I don’t normally keep fresh herbs, I could get some, but how important is it? Either way, I can’t wait to try this out on my picky eaters!

52. I love sweet potato fries! These sound delicious!

53. Carrie says:

i’d never thought of doing rosemary and parmesan on sweet potato fries. the flavor combo sounds excellent and i’ll have to give it a try.

54. Wow! These sweet potato fries look so delicious. I can’t wait to make them. Thanks for the recipe.

55. heidileon says:

hi! first time in your blog, I’ve just found it through stumble upon and I’m loving it so much.

Beautiful writing, awesome pictures and strong well executed recipes. PERFECT!…

56. SOOK says:

I love sweet potato fries!! Yours look perfect!

57. designbyjs says:

tried making these today…absolutely delicious!

58. I did as well, made for a good lunch.

59. Matt says:

mmmm, nice photo! These look like a change to regular potato fries! yum.

60. Natasha says:

I never made sweet potatoe frys, putting this recipe on my “recipes to try list”. Great blog.

61. Yui says:

Oh this is the best dish ever. I love to make sweet potato fries. It is easy to make and has amazing taste. Thanks for the recipe. I have never add rosemarry in my fries. Why I never add this magical herb? Duh! This should be best.