He said it would never happen. Ever.
He said that I should just accept that his tastes are what they are and they aren’t changing.
He. Was. Wrong.
You know. It was hard enough to believe in January when Shawn asked — yes, asked — to try some sweet potato fries that I’d whipped up. Sweet potatoes. One of the many, many vegetables that he turns his nose up to. It was even more of a surprise when he liked those sweet potato fries. Yes, and the moral of that story is that if you treat a picky man like a two-year-old and don’t offer him any, he’ll want to try whatever it is. I jest. I jest. That’s really not the moral.
The moral is that when it comes to food, never say never. Anyway, back to the story, it was absolutely unbelievable when he started whipping up batches himself.
See, unlike his old standby corn, sweet potatoes for these fries don’t come in a can. And unlike his occasional concession of a salad, these sweet potatoes don’t come double washed, sliced and ready to go. No sir, he actually has to peel them and slice them into fry shapes by hand . . . and he does. Willingly.
Hallelujah, there is some hope. Now, to get him to try more.
In the meantime, we’ve been having these babies weekly. So delicious. The savory aspects of rosemary and Parmesan offset the natural sweetness of the potato. They also crisp up nicely if you don’t overload the baking sheet and leave no room for flipping (sorry, Yoko! Learned that the hard way!).
I like to sprinkle a little extra salt just before serving . . .
More Sweet Potato Recipes:
- Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Baked Barbecue Sweet Potato Fries
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Garlic and Ginger
- Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges from Sweetnicks
- Spicy Sweet Potato Fries from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Curried Sweet Potato Soup from Not Eating Out in New York
- Sweet Potato Pot Pie from Mele Cotte
About the Author (Author Profile)Sarah W. Caron is a freelance writer, editor and recipe developer. Her work has appeared in countless online and print publications including iVillage, BELLA NYC Magazine, Yum for Kids magazine and more. She lives in Connecticut with her two kids, two beagles and husband.
Sites That Link to this Post
- A Taste of Fresh Beets | Sarah’s Cucina Bella :: Family Food | August 22, 2008
- Gourmet Fail | Ohnezu.net | August 24, 2008
- Sweet Potato Fries At Sarah’s Cucina Bella | Tinfoil Chef | August 28, 2008
- Vote! Then Eat Some Rosemary Garlic Sweet Potato Fries — Pinch My Salt | November 4, 2008
- Fabulous Asiago Pepper Steak Fries | Sarah’s Cucina Bella :: Family Food | April 26, 2009
- Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries | Sarah’s Cucina Bella :: Family Food | September 8, 2010
- Fit Links of the Day: French Fry Friday | Sweat and the City | Sweat Daily. Eat Well. Laugh Often. | April 1, 2011