Parmesan Rosemary Sweet Potato Fries

This is my very favorite sweet potato fries recipe. Parmesan Rosemary Sweet Potato Fries are sweet, savory and absolutely craveworthy.

Sweet Potato Fries

He said it would never happen. Ever.

He said that I should just accept that his tastes are what they are and they aren’t changing.

He. Was. Wrong.

You know. It was hard enough to believe in January when Shawn asked — yes, asked — to try some sweet potato fries that I’d whipped up. Sweet potatoes. One of the many, many vegetables that he turns his nose up to. It was even more of a surprise when he liked those sweet potato fries. Yes, and the moral of that story is that if you treat a picky man like a two-year-old and don’t offer him any, he’ll want to try whatever it is. I jest. I jest. That’s really not the moral.

The moral is that when it comes to food, never say never. Anyway, back to the story, it was absolutely unbelievable when he started whipping up batches himself.

See, unlike his old standby corn, sweet potatoes for these fries don’t come in a can. And unlike his occasional concession of a salad, these sweet potatoes don’t come double washed, sliced and ready to go. No sir, he actually has to peel them and slice them into fry shapes by hand . . . and he does. Willingly.

How to Make Sweet Potato Fries

Hallelujah, there is some hope. Now, to get him to try more.

In the meantime, we’ve been having these babies weekly. So delicious. The savory aspects of rosemary and Parmesan offset the natural sweetness of the potato. They also crisp up nicely if you don’t overload the baking sheet and leave no room for flipping (sorry, Yoko! Learned that the hard way!).

I like to sprinkle a little extra salt just before serving . . .

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed to get new posts delivered to your inbox. You can also become a fan of Sarah’s Cucina Bella on Facebook.

Parmesan Rosemary Sweet Potato Fries

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 4 servings
Ingredients
  • 1½ lb sweet potatoes
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • sea salt
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
  • ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (preferably the easy release kind).
  2. Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut into strips that are about ¼ inch wide on each side.
  3. Place the sweet potatoes into a large bowl. Add oil, salt, and rosemary. Stir well to thoroughly coat the fries. Stir in ⅔ of the Parmesan. Spread out onto the baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
  4. Cook for 20-25 minutes, turning about halfway through. Fries are done when they are browned around the edges. Transfer immediately to a paper towel lined plate and serve warm.

————————————————————–

More Sweet Potato Recipes:

Comments

1. says

Oh whatever! I LOVE mushy fries. I am the type to seek out the weird mushy ones in MCDonald’s fries…so those were perfect. Rosemary and Parmesean..I’ll have to try that.

2. Patti says

Yum! these look great, just like the fingerlings I plan to prepare soon…

I’m with Cate, Sarah. Beautiful photos.

3. says

I love sweet potatoes, but it’s never occurred to me to eat them as fries! What a great idea, and I bet the rosemary enhances their naturally sweet flavor too :).

4. says

Oh now, see what you’ve done…

It’s going on 5 p.m., here in sunny Montréal, and I was trying my best not to think about FOOD.

But now, off I go to the grocery store to pick up sweet potatoes, fresh rosemary, and Parmesan.

Thanks for the lovely temptation :-)

Hugs and love,
    Mudd a.k.a. Oza
    xoxo

5. says

Thanks everyone. Yep, these are so delish… In fact, I think we’ll be having them again very, very soon.

Oza and Little Cooker, I hope you check back and tell me what you thought!

6. Yvette says

I’m just about to cook these as a side dish with dinner. So yum; I love sweet potato chips. Thanks for a baking recipe (as opposed to deep-fried). They are sure to be a success! Thank you!

7. Barbara says

Hi…

I’m one of those that just ” Stumbled ” onto your delightful website.

I’m addicted to great food blogs and when I come across one, I bookmark it, as I did yours.

Thanks for the wonderful recipes and incredible photos.

8. Maureen says

I just found your site and am loving the food and photos. These look so good! I usually make them with Herbes de Provence, but the Parmesan and rosemary sound delicious. These will be a big hit at our house! Thank you.

9. Grey says

I bet these would be great with the rosemary goat cheese that we have, rather than with just Parmesan :3

Thank you for the recipe!

10. says

Thank you all!

Grey, that sounds interesting, but I would be concerned with the goat cheese burning during cooking. Hard cheeses tend to do better in this type of application so perhaps asiago could change up the taste for you?

11. Coby says

I was rolling with laughter reading this, since my husbands standby veggies are corn and salad! I will definately try these to broaden his horizon!
    Thanks.

12. says

I found this page via StumbleUpon, and I was really thrilled to see this recipe. We first came across sweet potato fries in New Zealand when it was in season around May or so, and we were instantly hooked.

Thank you for sharing this – and the beautiful photos.

Best,
    Metroknow

13. says

I am one of those who stumbled – and what a fantastic idea! I have made sweet potato wedges with rosemary many times, but never with parmsan. Yum!

14. SweetSpudFryLover says

I found this using stubleupon . . . Sweet Potato fries have always been a favorite, but I’ve only had plain ones, this opens tons of new ideas!

15. Sheree says

Great photos and wonderful idea and yes i found you with stumble upon and bookmarked it too. can’t wait to try these new twist on fries looks andf sounds yummy

16. says

I`m not a fan of sweet potatoes, but I`m thinking I might just try this . . .

As for men acting like picky two year olds, I`ve never had success with the not offering trick. sigh. My man is happy with his tortillas, meat and guacamole.

17. says

Stumbler here. Delicious idea and healthy too! I’m so psyced to make these for my boyfriend! They are pretty simple and will the make the apartment smell great after cooking.

18. Amanda says

Oh man! I just made these for dinner. I feel like a pig because I just ate an entire sweet potato all by myself.

I couldn’t get them brown like you did, but I didn’t mind because they are SOOOOOO yummy.

Sweet potato fries are the newest craze in my house!!

19. Pants says

Ahhh these are so good!
    I StumbleUpon food blogs all the time, and when I find a recipe that looks good, I’ll bookmark it but I never get around to making them.
    Until TONIGHT when I decided to cook and went through all my bookmarks to find something.
    Had to run to the store to grab some sweet potatoes and parmesan, but it was worth it 100%.
    I think they’ll be a new Thanksgiving thing :)

20. sheltonpounce says

I made these last night as an accompaniment to parmesan pork scallopini with mushroom sauce. Perfect. Thanks for the idea.

21. nicole gatteri says

I am with your husband. I don’t care for sweet potatos either. I was introduced to the fries while on vacation in florida. I loved them. So, I bought a sweet potato and stumbled upon your site. All I can say is YUMMY!

22. says

I love sweet potato fries and their many variations. One thing I get a kick out of is the variety of sauces you can eat them with. My favorite is a homemade chipotle cilantro mayo.
    Thanks!

23. Grey says

Oh my god. I made these with chicken for dinner last night, and they were FANTASTIC. I’m so totally excited about them that I may have to make them on Friday night as well. 😉

24. Elizabeth says

AMAZING recipe!! When I made it the fries were mushy, though, and I left them in for 35 mins. Any recommendations for how to fix that?

25. Emily says

I don’t normally keep fresh herbs, I could get some, but how important is it? Either way, I can’t wait to try this out on my picky eaters!

26. says

i’d never thought of doing rosemary and parmesan on sweet potato fries. the flavor combo sounds excellent and i’ll have to give it a try.

27. says

hi! first time in your blog, I’ve just found it through stumble upon and I’m loving it so much.

Beautiful writing, awesome pictures and strong well executed recipes. PERFECT!…

28. says

Oh this is the best dish ever. I love to make sweet potato fries. It is easy to make and has amazing taste. Thanks for the recipe. I have never add rosemarry in my fries. Why I never add this magical herb? Duh! This should be best.

Trackbacks

1. […] USE: Yams are delicious just baked and then dotted with butter. Often you can use a yam for recipes calling for Baked potatoes. Since these are certified organic you can enjoy them, tasty skins on! Steamed, they make a great side to chicken, pork or fish. Try shedding them and cooking like “hash browns” for breakfast, or add to a slaw with raisins and peanut sauce.  You can also make “sweet potato chips by cutting peeled yams into 1/8” rounds, place them on a parchment-covered baking sheet, and drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and rosemary. Bake in a 350°F oven until crisp. For a homemade “fries” see http://sarahscucinabella.com/2008/04/07/parm-rose-sweet-potato-fries/ […]