These eggs remind me of summer. Sweet fresh tomatoes are encircled with the brilliant flavor of fresh basil. There’s slightly sweet roasted garlic, which I have been obsessed with lately, blended with rich heavy cream — a nod to winter. And the warmth of the baked dish make it perfect for a chilly morning. Or dinner.
I feel in love with baked eggs in tomato-based concoctions last winter. Runny yolks are always a favorite of mine, but even more so when they are paired with flavors that compare, contrast and compliment them. And it’s a great bonus that there are so many possibilities for flavor combinations. This seemed like the perfect dish to make when Betty Crocker and Land O’Lakes recently asked me to create something with Land O’Lakes eggs.
This version is a favorite since it uses so many fresh ingredients (and, of course, fresh flavors). There is just no contest when you start with ingredients in as close to a natural state as you can get. I bet this would be even more amazing in fall, when fresh tomatoes and basil from local farms are available and the air just starts to take on that crisp coolness.
But for now, hothouse tomatoes do the job just fine.
Want to try this for yourself? It’s easy.
Start by gathering and preparing your ingredients. It’s seven simple things (plus salt and pepper) — easy as can be. You’ll need to dice the tomatoes and chop the basil. Also, you need to combine the heavy cream and roasted garlic.
Layer it in the small oven-safe pan. Tomatoes and basil first, egg second, garlicky cream third.
Sprinkle it with freshly grated parmesan.
Then bake it.
Try this dish for breakfast in bed, with some buttered whole grain toast and fresh orange juice. You can thank me later.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy eggs?
- 1 large fresh tomato, diced (about 1 heaping cup)
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small oven-safe bowl rectangular pan (about 6x4x1-inches), combine the tomatoes, basil, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Meanwhile, in a mini food processor, combine the roasted garlic and heavy cream and whirl until mixed.
- Crack the egg into a bowl and then pour into the oven-safe bowl or pan over the tomatoes. Drizzle the heavy cream mixture over it. Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the egg white is set.
- Remove from the oven. Enjoy!
Disclosure: I am being compensated by Land O’Lakes and Betty Crocker for this recipe and post. All opinions expressed are my own.
More from Sarah W. Caron of Sarah’s Cucina Bella
- Roasted Confetti Hash on Tablespoon
- Easy Mocha Latte on Tablespoon
- Slow Cooker Brisket Tacos on Betty Crocker