It’s Tuesday afternoon and I am sitting in my home office, with The Beach Boys’ Sounds Of Summer playing in the background. Outside my open windows are a brilliant blue sky, bright sunlight and the sound of laughing children. It’s enough to make you throw open your arms and yell Welcome, springtime. This is weather that just begs for being outside in the fresh newness.
And what comes with warm temperatures? The strong allure of grilling, of course!
We actually started grilling about a month ago, but now that the temperatures seem more firmly planted in the warm category, we’ll be doing it a whole lot more often. Who wants to heat up a kitchen when it’s so beautiful outside, anyway? Not me!
When I was planning our meals for this week, I spotted this recipe for Grilled Island Chicken in Aviva Goldfarb‘s new cookbook, SOS! The Six O’Clock Scramble to the Rescue: Earth-Friendly, Kid-Pleasing Dinners for Busy Families. Grilled pineapple? Marinated Chicken? Sounded perfect. And the fact that the marinade is whipped up in minutes and the whole thing can be cooked in about 10 minutes makes it just perfect for busy nights (and Monday is a notoriously busy night in my house).
So, how was it? Awesome. Will is a really good eater, but typically he stops at one serving (nothing wrong with that!). Last night? He had seconds. So did Shawn and I (and I never ever have seconds of anything!). The flavorful, rich grilled chicken tasted fantastic with the smoky-sweet grilled pineapple … and it all went so well with the rice and salad I served.
Loved it. We’ll be having this again soon. Very soon.
P.S. Looking for some easy chicken dinners? Check out my latest post on Tablespoon for inspiration!
This recipe is adapted very slightly from SOS! The Six O’Clock Scramble to the Rescue: Earth-Friendly, Kid-Pleasing Dinners for Busy Families.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 20 oz can pineapple slices in pineapple juice, slices and juice separated
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, 3 tbsp of the pineapple juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and pepper. Set aside.
- Rinse the chicken under cool water. Cut the chicken breasts lengthwise into three pieces (think chicken fingers). Place the pieces into a resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade in. Seal tightly, removing as much air as you can.
- Place the chicken in the fridge and let it marinate for at least two hours (more is better).
- Ready to cook? Preheat the grill on its medium setting. Cook the chicken on the grill, flipping once, until cooked through. If desired, brush the chicken with marinade when you flip it. Meanwhile, also grill the pineapple slices until lightly browned, flipping once.
- Serve over rice with a big salad.