I love the taste of roasted leeks. Almost smoky … and so tender, with a hint of crisp. Then there’s the roasted beets, they get this beautiful sweetness to them. But the roasted eggplant? The crispy caramelization on the outside and creamy inside was sublime. As far as eggplant recipes go, this is a new fav. And the whole dish is infused with the roasted garlic which makes it all the better.
Roasted vegetables are really divine. I loved this dish. This roasted vegetables recipe is a perfect side dish for the chilly evenings we’ve been having. Unfortunately, the kids were less enthused. They both enjoyed the roasted beets in this dish, but were mixed on the other veggies. Shawn wouldn’t try it. Oh well. Can’t win every time, right?
Sadly, this week there were no beets, leeks or eggplant in the CSA box. But if you have leftovers from last week, then this is a great recipe to make. Or, you could just buy the ingredients and make it. Heck, I might do that.
Wondering what to do with the produce that was in your box?
Try these recipes:
- Tomatoes (the big slicing ones): Heirloom Tomatoes with Blue Cheese Dressing
- Cherry Tomatoes: Whole Wheat Couscous Tabbouleh Salad
- Summer Squash: Grilled Summer Squash with Tomatoes, Garlic and Scallions
- Corn: Balsamic Tomato, Corn and Cucumber Panzanella
- Cabbage: Classic Coleslaw (with a twist)
Now, onto the delicious recipe for roasted veggies …
Roasted Beets, Leeks and Eggplant
- 1 bunch leeks, halved, washed well and cut into 2" chunks
- 1 bunch beets, washed and cut into 1" chunks
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1" chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil (or heavy duty aluminum foil spayed with cooking oil spray).
- Combine the leeks, beets, eggplant and garlic on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Then, remove from the oven and stir well. Return to the oven and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve immediately.
Monday 28th of November 2016
Wow, this was really good! I had leftover beets and leeks from thanksgiving, was delighted to find this recipe. I added some sweet potatoes that needed to be cooked, and half a yellow onion. I used a few extra garlic cloves and fresh rosemary from my yard. Added a tiny amount of feta as a garnish. Wonderful! Thank you!
Sarah Walker Caron
Monday 28th of November 2016
Myna, I am so glad you tried it and liked it! Love the additions you made!
Veggie Mixer – Garlicky Roasted Beets, Leeks and Eggplant
Wednesday 17th of August 2011
[...] by Ned Raggett As taken from here — good [...]
Garlicky roasted beets, leeks and eggplant « Ned Raggett Ponders It All
Wednesday 10th of November 2010
[...] This was actually from the other night — a good light dinner, very delicious! I was looking for some way to use these very three ingredients from the CSA basket and thanks to Sarah’s Cucina Bella I did — the recipe is here. [...]
Thursday 26th of August 2010
I really like leeks, but never tried roasting them. Your recipe sounds (and looks) wonderful.