- 1 flank steak, , you'll want the whole portion, which is usually 1 1/2 lbs
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, , chopped
- several dashes crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, , to taste
- Place the flank steak into a gallon-size resealable bag.
- Whisk together the red wine, olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Pour over the flank steak. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible.
- Refrigerate the flank steak, turning once, for at least 1 hour or up to 10 hours.
- Once the flank steak is marinated to your preferences, heat the grill on its medium setting until good and hot, about five minutes but up to 10.
- Remove the steak from the marinade with tongs and place on the grill. Reseal the bag and discard any remaining marinade. Wash the tongs and your hands.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes per side, to desired doneness (remember, you can ensure its cooked right by checking the internal temperature with a thermometer). Allow the flank steak to rest for 10 minutes before slicing against the grain.
- Serve. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.