After Hurricane Irene knocked out our power for days, I had to restock almost everything in our fridge and freezers.
It was somewhere between a colossal pain and a tremendous relief to start fresh like that. I hated losing everything, but being able to start from the basics again was nice. When it came to restocking, one of the first things on the restock list (after nonfat milk, an assortment of cheeses and butter, of course) was bacon.
Now, while I think the bacon trend has seen its day, bacon is still a great thing to keep around. It adds tremendous flavor to braised cabbage and elevates an otherwise ordinary grilled cheese sandwich. And bacon with Brussels sprouts? OMG good.
So, I always keep bacon in the freezer, slicing off a little whenever I need it. It’s so easy and then it’s always on hand.
I’m telling ya. It’s worth it.
In this Bacon and Kale Fried Rice recipe, it’s amazing. The bits of bacon, egg and kale create a decadent, delicious fried rice that’s so satisfying. And since the kale is actually cooked in the bacon fat, the flavor of bacon really permeates throughout the dish.
If you haven’t made fried rice before, I assure you that it’s easy. If you have all your ingredients prepped, it takes a whopping 15 minutes or so to cook this homemade recipe. And, yes, your ingredients should be prepped and ready to go before cooking.
This is a perfect side dish for Baked Sticky Orange Chicken Drumsticks.
Oh, and one more thing … This is also really amazing with a good swirl of Sriracha stirred in.
Bacon and Kale Fried Rice
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 bunch kale ribs discarded and leaves minced
- 1 cup Jasmine rice prepared
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- Heat a large skillet (or a wok) over medium heat on the stove. Add the bacon and cook until browned. Remove the bacon from the skillet to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the garlic and the kale to the skillet. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the kale is wilted. Add the rice and toss well to combine. Add the sesame oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Push the rice mixture to one side of the skillet and add the eggs. Cook, without disturbing, for 2-3 minutes, until mostly firm. Break apart with your spatula and cook for 1-2 minutes more, until no longer liquidy. Stir together with the rice mixture. Scrape the bottom of the pan well.
- Remove from heat and stir in the bacon. Drizzle with soy sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Serve immediately.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.