- 1 sweet potato, washed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup barley, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the sweet potato, carrots, onion and garlic on a nonstick baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 30-40 minutes, stirring once or twice, until vegetables are tender and lightly golden.
- Remove the garlic and chop finely. Whisk together with the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Toss vegetables with barley. Drizzle with lemon vinaigrette and toss again. Adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- This can be served hot or at room temperature.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.