Love salads with a tang? Lemon Garlic Corn and Black Lentil Salad is for you. This recipe was created for my client, Florida Sweet Corn Exchange, who I am working with via KitchenPLAY. All opinions are my own.
When the bright sun rose in the sky earlier this week, the brilliant blue skies and raising temperatures with it, it was like a cleansing sigh. Some winters inevitably seem harder than others — and that was the case this year.
Bitterly cold and grim, it felt like we were trapped indoors at time.
The temperatures dipped so low — and stayed there — for so long. But that’s over now, and the signs of spring are all around us — in the daffodils quickly growing near our house to the buds on the trees.
And, Sunshine Sweet Corn from Florida is starting to emerge in grocery stores too. Fresh corn is warmth, summer and freedom. It’s happy days and lazy evenings. It’s everything we’ve been craving lately.
Sweet corn is also perfect for whipping up delicious salads. I love using steamed corn on the cob because the kernels are so plump, tender and juicy. When using it in salads like this one, I just steam the corn. Then I stand the corn up on its fat end on a cutting board and use a sharp knife to cut the kernels free from the cob. But you could totally use a corn zipper tool as well.
In this Lemon Garlic Corn and Black Lentil Salad, fresh sweet corn is combined with little black lentils, carrots and baby kale. Then it’s dressed with garlicky hot oil and tart lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, and you are ready to dip into this hearty spring salad. The sweetness of the corn is a perfect contrast to the tart lemon, and it goes so well with the little meaty black lentils — a superfood.
Best of all, this is a quick salad that can be made in about 30 minutes — perfect for serving with whatever’s coming off the grill tonight. Can’t beat that.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy sweet corn?
- 3 ears fresh Sunshine Sweet Corn, steamed until tender
- 1 cup black lentils, cooked according to package directions (these should still be hot)
- 1 cup baby kale
- 1 cup julienne cut carrots
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Using a sharp knife or a corn zipper, remove the corn kernels from the cob. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the hot cooked black lentils, baby kale and carrots. Stir well to combine.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and stir well to combine.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until softened and fragrant – about one minute. Immediately pour over the corn and lentil mixture. Stir well.
- Season the salad with salt and pepper to desired flavor. Enjoy immediately, or chill until ready to serve.
Disclosure: I was compensated for creating this recipe, but all opinions are my own.