Rich, buttery chocolate chip cookies get totally decadent with the addition of salty bacon in Bacon Chocolate Chunk Cookies. This recipe was created for my client Jones Dairy Farm. All opinions are my own.
When the kids smelled the aroma of chocolate chip cookies mingling with the salty smoke of bacon in the kitchen, they started hovering — hoping I might share the freshly baked treats. I can’t remember the last time I baked … maybe February? It’s been awhile — and even longer since I last whipped up a batch of cookies. No wonder they were excited, right? But I like to think it had a little to do with the uniqueness of these chocolate chip cookies.
When they actually got to try the cookies, the reaction was priceless. “These are the best cookies you’ve ever made,” they agreed. I’ll take it.
After the delicious success of my Cinnamon Bacon Streusel Bread, I was more than a little excited to experiment with bacon in cookies. I mean, I already know that bacon is amazing with chocolate. So why not bake it into a buttery, sweet, rich cookie? And it’s even better because there are big pieces of chocolate chunks throughout. It’s like chocolate-bacon heaven.
Bacon Chocolate Chunk Cookies are like classic chocolate chip cookies but better since they are dotted with lots of bacony goodness. Making them is as easy as any other homemade chocolate chip cookie dough — just be sure to cook and chop your bacon in preparation. Then just slide them into the oven and bake until they are nice and golden.
As for most cookies, I use a medium cookie scoop — which looks like an old style cookie scoop but a little smaller — to portion out the dough. It makes the preparation process a breeze. If you don’t have one and love to make cookies, I highly recommend it.
A little fun, a little unexpected … these cookies are a huge treat. These babies were made with thick cut Jones Dairy Farm Cherrywood Smoked Bacon — my favorite. It has a salty richness with a hint of sweet that I can’t get enough of. Just be sure to look for the thick cut version, which gives the best flavor and texture to these cookies.
Bacon Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups chocolate chunks
- 1/2 lb Jones Dairy Farm Thick Cut Cherrywood Smoked Bacon, cooked and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. If desired, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, running the mixer on medium-low.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture a little at a time to the stand mixer, until just incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chunks and chopped bacon.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, droop the dough in balls onto the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and let sit for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Disclosure: I was compensated for creating this recipe but all opinions are my own.
Wednesday 7th of May 2014
These sound scrumptious!
Sarah W. Caron
Saturday 10th of May 2014
Thank you, Patti!