Change up your dinner routine with this meatless meal: Zesty Lemon Tuna Meatball Pasta is perfect for busy nights. And the leftovers are great for lunches.
A friend of mine recently commented that readers of my newspaper column and this blog might be getting a skewed impression of me — one that I’m perfect and so are my kids.
Trust me, we aren’t. And I like to think that although I am pretty careful about what I say (I’d never want today’s stories to be something thrown in my kids’ faces when they are older), I present a pretty balanced idea of who we are. And that is to say that we’re perfectly imperfect.
Heck, I am the first to admit my imperfections. For instance, though I have a great organizational system for grocery shopping and meal planning, sometimes it all goes awry. I shop but don’t meal plan. I forget ingredients. And then I find myself hungry, tired and in my kitchen at 7 p.m. deciding where we’re going out to eat — because the time to cook has passed.
Or sometimes, I just whip something up on the fly. If I’m not tired or too hungry to wait, then sometimes I get creative with what we have. On those nights, when nothing is defrosted, having a grab and use protein like cans of tuna is a godsend.
Bumble Bee® Albacore products are great to have on hand. They’re an easy way to get lean protein, healthy fat and important vitamins and nutrients into a meal without too much effort.
Like this recipe: Zesty Lemon Tuna Meatball Pasta
Canned tuna is mixed up with breadcrumbs, garlic and seasonings to make tasty little meatballs that are panfried. Add some roasted red peppers and whip up the light and easy lemon sauce, and mix it all with pasta for a light and tasty meal. Easy peasy, and ready in no time.
Zesty Lemon Tuna Meatball Pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 5- oz cans Bumble Bee solid white tuna packed in water , drained and flaked
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic , minced (use two if they are small cloves)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 lb pasta , cooked and drained with 1 ladle of cooking water reserved
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. While the oil is heating, stir together the tuna, breadcrumbs, garlic, eggs, salt, pepper and onion powder until well combined. Form 1-inch tuna meatballs.
- Once the oil is hot, add the tuna meatballs to the pan. Cook, turning, until golden all over. Add the chopped roasted red peppers to the pan and stir to combine.
- Add the lemon juice and zest and the wine to the pan. Stir well. Stir in the reserved ladle of pasta cooking water (about 1/2 cup). Remove from heat.
- Add the pasta to the pan and toss well. Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper, as needed.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.