Dressed with vinaigrette and dotted with meaty pancetta and vibrant red onions, this Sweet Potato Salad is perfect for summer picnics and gatherings.
And this salad? It’s perfect for backyard barbecues. Or weekend gatherings around the pool. Or Mondays, when you need a lunchtime pick-me-up. Yes, we all know how Mondays can be — especially after a good and fun weekend. And what’s best about it’s a fun, tasty, healthful twist on a classic that substitutes sweet potatoes for red potatoes.
Rich in antioxidants, sweet potatoes are so good for you — whether you enjoy them baked, roasted or prepared some other way. For this creative summer salad, they’re boiled and then combined with pancetta, red onions and a tasty dressing for a delicious German potato salad-inspired dish
And did I mention that this salad is super easy to make? Because it is. You’ll need a bowl, a spoon and a few minutes. Once the potatoes are cooked (easy), you just toss the rest of the ingredients together (peasy) and you’re ready to go.
The key to the ease of this is a prepared salad dressing with a nice tangy, fresh flavor. Drizzle that good stuff in, and then mix it all up. Letting it sit for a few minutes before digging in gives the flavors time to mix and mingle.
The dressing I used for this is new — Marzetti® Vineyard Dressing. These dressings have a blend of tasty ingredients that are inspired by the vine and come in six tasty flavors: Asiago Peppercorn Chardonnay, Balsamic Cabernet, Citrus Pinot Noir, Dijon Champagne, Garlic & Herb Chardonnay, and Mixed Berry Merlot. I am a sucker for good dressings, so I was really psyched to try these.
The Marzetti® Vineyard Dressing Garlic & Herb Chardonnay variety was a perfect pairing for this Sweet Potato Salad with Pancetta and Red Onions. With the sweetness of the potatoes, the smoky, crispy pancetta and robust red onions, the clean, crisp, tangy dressing with earthy oregano, rosemary, basil and thyme was just right for providing flavor balance.
Flavor explosion? Check. Perfect summer salad? Check. Ready for some lazy days and fun nights? Check and check.
Psst! If you want to try Marzetti® Vineyard Dressing, it’s found in the produce section of the grocery store. Use the Vineyard Dressing product locator to find what stores carry this near you. Also, be sure to keep it refrigerated.
- 1 1/2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3/4-inch cubes)
- 3 oz. pancetta, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup vinaigrette such as Marzetti® Vineyard Dressing Garlic & Herb Chardonnay
- Place the sweet potato cubes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Set the pan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender -- about 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat a medium skillet over medium heat on the stove. Add the diced pancetta, and cook until browned -- about 5-7 minutes. Drain and transfer the browned pancetta to a large mixing bowl.
- Drain and add the cooked, tender sweet potatoes to the large mixing bowl, as well as the red onions. Toss well to combine.
- Drizzle with dressing. Toss again. Let sit a few minutes and toss one more time.
- This can be enjoyed warm, immediately, or chilled.