Creamy brie, juicy tomatoes and bright basil combine in this easy recipe for Tomato Brie Pasta. It’s a surprising delight for brie-lovers.
When I was in high school, on a whim, I gave up eating meat at the start of a New Year. And, like many things I do, I single-mindedly pursued my goal of vegetarianism. Fortunately, my parents took it in stride.
Soon they were stocking up on veggie dogs, trading the ground meat in my tacos for vegetarian refried beans and whipping up creative pasta dishes. For lunches, I experimented with sandwiches filled with sprouts and veggies or filled pitas with olives, tuna and more.
It could have been a disaster, but instead, it got us eating more expansively. And it brought a version of this dish into our lives.
Tomato Brie Pasta with Fresh Basil is an easy, creamy, bright pasta dish that relies on the intense natural flavors of the ingredients to craft a guilty-pleasure dish. And did I mention that it’s easy?
The sauce ingredients — fresh tomatoes, brie, basil and more — are stirred together. Then they are left to sit for about 30 minutes. During this time, the natural acid in the tomatoes breaks down the cheese, creating a creamy liquid that will coat the pasta.
Then you cook the pasta and toss it with the pasta.
Voila! This easy, delightful pasta will become a quick favorite of brie lovers in your household. We like to save this for special occasions — even though it’s easy to make, it’s also decadent.
Like this recipe by want a version that’s even faster? Check out my book One-Pot Pasta, which includes an easy, fast, one-pot pasta version of this dish.
But be warned: it’s crazy good.
- 7 ounces brie cheese, cut into pieces (freeze for 5-10 minutes to make cutting easier)
- 2 cups fresh diced tomato
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb dried pasta of your choice
- In a medium bowl, stir together the brie, tomatoes, basil, garlic and olive oil. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the pasta, per package instructions, to al dente. Drain well.
- Toss the hot pasta with the brie and tomato mixture. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.