With the flavors of fried rice, this Fried Rice-Style Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables is a satisfying way to enjoy a take-out favorite at home.
Long before working on Grains as Mains, I was grain-curious. Quinoa, polenta, farro … I cooked with them all. I loved seeing how different grains could be incorporated into dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Quinoa, in particular, became a favorite. It works really well in place of rice in most dishes. And it comes with some good nutritional benefits too, since it’s rich in protein, calcium, magnesium and more.
So Fried Rice-Style Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables? It’s a delight.
You start by roasting the vegetables that go into this. Cabbage, onions, carrots and parsnips are cooked with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted to perfection. That is part of what makes this recipe so easy — most of the cooking is hands off.
Once the veggies are ready (and the quinoa too), it’s time to make the fried rice-style quinoa.
Heat oil in a pan and add the quinoa and roasted veggies. Season it all with sesame oil and soy sauce. Mix it up and taste. Season with salt and pepper, as needed. And then enjoy.
It doesn’t take long to finish up — just a few minutes.
This satisfying take on a takeout favorite is so easy and flavorful. I like to serve it with a fried or poached egg on top. But it’s also delightful alone.
Who’s ready to make some Fried Rice-Style Quinoa?
- 2 cups (heaping) thinly sliced cabbage (in strips)
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 yellow onions, peeled, sliced and quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tbsp divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- pepper, to taste
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 2 cup water
- 1 tsp roasted sesame oil
- 2-4 tbsp soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange the cabbage, parsnips, carrots and onions on a nonstick baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes. Stir. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until tender and caramelized. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine the quinoa and water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the quinoa and roasted veggies and toss together. Toss with sesame oil and soy sauce (add a little at a time, tasting as you go and stopping when you reach the desired flavor). Cook for 2-3 minutes, until well combined throughout.
- Remove from heat, serve and enjoy.