Don’t toss your beet greens! The leafy pieces on the top of stems of fresh beets are delicious — and perfect in this easy Beet Greens Bruschetta recipe.
Do you love beets as much as we do?
When whipping up delicious beet recipes like Glazed Beets, be sure to save your beet greens for later. They are low in calories and rich in Vitamins A and C. That means you can totally feel good about using them to make some mouthwatering homemade bruschetta.
This zesty recipe for Beet Greens Bruschetta is easy to whip up — but be sure to do all the prep-work before you start cooking. This will ensure that you can hop through the recipe with the greatest of ease.
Serve this on slices of crusty Italian bread.
Beet Greens Bruschetta
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, , chopped
- 1 cup beet greens, , chopped
- 1 medium tomato, , seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, , minced
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil or 1 tbsp. fresh basil, , chopped
- salt, , to taste
- 2 oz asiago cheese
- 2 oz parmesan cheese
- 8 slices Italian bread
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until transparent and soft.
- Stir in greens, tomato, garlic, salt and crushed red pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently until greens are wilted.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In toaster oven or oven, toast bread for 2-3 minutes until crispy but not brown. Remove from oven.
- Spoon beet green mixture onto bread, top with asiago and parmesan cheeses and toast for an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
Sunday 30th of April 2006
I love the sound of this. I can't wait to have fresh basil from the garden again!