Fresh tomatoes, basil pesto, fresh mozzarella and pasta come together in this delightful and easy Grilled Caprese Lasagna recipe.
Hello, my name is Sarah and I am a fresh mozzarella, tomato and pesto addict.
My family eats it as a salad, on bread, over pasta, as sliders and mixed into baked potatoes.
And now, Grilled Caprese Lasagna is in the rotation too. This single-serving, make-ahead recipe is perfect for grilling on hot summer nights after a relaxing day hiking or at the beach.
Making this is pretty simple and easy.
Start by cooking the noodles. Then you assemble the Grilled Caprese Lasagna in mini lasagna pans, layering the noodles, pesto, tomato and mozzarella. Repeat. From there, this can be either frozen and cooked later or cooked immediately on the grill.
If you do decide to make it right away, it can be created from start to finish in a mere 30 minutes.
Of course, I also make a meaty version of this that’s delightful too Grilled Sausage Lasagna is also a wonderful single-serving, make-ahead dish perfect for grilling.
Serve this with a big tossed salad and crusty bread. For the salad, basil vinaigrette is lovely and pairs well with the flavors in this Grilled Caprese Lasagna recipe.
This combination just screams summer to me … what food combo says summer to you?
- 4 lasagna noodles, , cooked and cooled
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 3 medium tomatoes, , sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella
- For gas grills, heat to the highest setting. For charcoal grills, get the charcoal going and ready to cook.
- You will need four disposable mini loaf pans. In each pan, place one lasagna noodle along the length of the pan, with half of it hanging out over the edge.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon pesto onto the noodle, spreading out gently. Top with tomato slices, placed edge to edge along the length of the pan. Top with one slice mozzarella.
- Fold the lasagna noodle over the mozzarella. Spoon one tablespoon pesto over, and spread it out. Top with more tomato slices and a slice of mozzarella.
- Repeat until all four are made.
- Place the mini loaf pans onto the heated grill (direct heat, for charcoal) and cover with the grill lid. Cook for about 10 minutes, until hot and bubbly. The edges should be ever-so-slightly browned.