Grilled Beets With Feta Recipe

| July 2, 2009 | 12 Comments

beets-with-feta

It’s funny. It seems like with beets, people either love them or hate them. And of the people that hate them, I find that most haven’t ever actually had fresh beets. If you fall into the latter category, my condolences and I urge you to give fresh, wonderful beets a try. Seriously.

Now for those of us who love them, it’s a whole different ballgame. Boiled with a touch of salt? Perfection! Roasted? Even better. But tonight, oh tonight, I found something better and more wonderful – Roasted beets! With rosemary! And feta! The salted and peppered beets pick up a lot of the rosemary flavor, blending and melding in a wonderful, harmonious symphony of flavor. And then the creamy, but slightly salty feta just makes it burst in your mouth.

So. Good. These qualify as one of those OMG dishes where the serving might be for two people, but chances are you will eat them all yourself. Don’t worry, I won’t tell.

Looking for more delicious beet recipes? Try these:

Grilled Beets with Feta
serves 2

1 bunch beets
1 5-inch piece of rosemary
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Clean the beets and remove the tops (save then for another use!). Slice into 1/4-inch rounds.

Set a large (think about a foot and a half long) sheet of aluminum foil on the counter. In the center, layer the beets with the rosemary (on the stalk) in the center). Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Close the aluminum foil into a sealed packet.

Place the beet pack on a hot grill (direct flame). Let cook for 20-25 minutes until tender.

Remove the beets from the packet (carefully! it will be hot!) and place in a bowl. Discard the rosemary sprig. Sprinkle with feta and serve.

Category: Recipes, salad, side dishes, vegetables, vegetarian

Sarah Walker Caron is a writer, editor and recipe developer who loves to create delicious recipes the whole family can enjoy together. Her work has appeared in countless publications including iVillage, BELLA NYC Magazine, Yum for Kids magazine and more. She lives in Maine with her two food-loving kids.

1. I’m not quite in the hate-it camp, but more in the take-it-or-leave-it camp. That said, I know any vegetable that gets roasted is totally packed with all natural flavor – mmm!

2. Kalyn says:

Sounds wonderful. I love beets, but they aren’t really on my diet. Still, I wouldn’t pass this up if it was on the table in front of me!

3. I’m with you. I love beets, just about any way except for the canned ones. They are so lovely with feta too.

4. sassymonkey says:

Ah ha! When we were in the car this evening the boy mentioned that someone who had commented on my last blog post had a beet recipe we had to try. I didn’t have access to internet at the time and was trying to figure out who it could be. Of course it’s you! We’ll be trying this but sadly will have to make them in the oven since we’re bbq-less.

5. I think that is exactly right – people who base their opinion of beets on the mass-produced canned variety need to try fresh roasted beets. So so delicious. I never used to eat them – but now I can’t get enough of them!

6. ASHLEA says:

I had beets for the first time last week and have been dreaming about them ever since… this sounds so great with feta cheese! I will have to try them for sure (now that I am not scared of them anymore!)

7. Nina says:

OK everyone, these are a “10″! Tried them last nite just as written. Used beets that had gotten a little large, peeled them and cut in slightly larger than 1/4″ slices, on the grill for 45 minutes. The rosemary was such a wonderful fragrant & flavorful compliment…and the feta, Oh My…everyone loved them! Thanks for a great recipe!

8. Lauren says:

made these last night… they were delicious!
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..pesto =-.

9. Jen says:

Fabulous – I had people eating beets last night that didn’t think they even liked them! And it couldn’t be much easier.

Glad I found it – albeit 3 years late :)

10. Susan says:

This is the first time I am cooking beets…do I peel them or slice w/o peeling?

• Sarah W. Caron says:

Hi Susan, I usually just give them a good scrub with my hands under running water and then slice ‘em up. Best, Sarah