Caramelized Onion Orzo features sweet caramelized onions, savory parmesan and white wine in a lovely side dish, perfect for enjoying with a grilled dinner.
It was only earlier this year that I tried making orzo for the first time, and I quickly discovered that I (and my kids) adore it. The tiny bits of pasta make a fabulous side dish.
Soft and adaptable, orzo easily takes on other flavors such as in this case where sweet caramelized onions play a dominant role.
Sweet onions are caramelized on a mixture of butter and olive oil until they are richly colored and soft. Cooked orzo is combined with the onions, white wine and parmesan and then cooked a little more to meld the flavors.
Finished off with a sprinkle of parsley, the caramelized onions give this orzo a wonderful sweetness that gets savory boosts from freshly grated parmesan, a little white wine
Do you like orzo?
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, , chopped
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- sea salt
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Parsley, , chopped
- Add the butter and olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high, until the butter is melted. Swirl the pan to mix the two.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, until browned at the edges. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat a saucepan of water and cook the orzo to al dente. Drain.
- When the onions are soft, transcusent and golden brown, sprinkle with salt. Then add the orzo, white wine and parmesan, stirring well to combine. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of four cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to a tween and a teen, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.