Veggies, lemon and adorable pasta. Garlic, honey, dried oregano and lemon make a tangy vinaigrette. This Orecchiette Pasta Salad with Lemon and Oregano is delightful.
When the last day of school arrived for my kids last week, it was with a soft swoosh, instead of the dynamic bang it typically comes with. There were no end of year parties, no dances or in-person award ceremonies and no special sleepovers. In fact, it lacked all the familiar trappings of the end of school.
Instead of reviews, finals and cleaning out lockers with a few last days of mild reflection, my kids worked right up until the end.
There will still be virtual award ceremonies, delivered by pre-recorded video. Textbooks and laptops will be turned in with efficient drive-by procedures. And it will be weeks before report cards are mailed.
There’s nothing familiar about this inside-out, upside-down, backwards end of school. But, then, there shouldn’t be. There hasn’t been a second semester like this before.
That’s a lot of meals.
Having recipes like Orecchiette Pasta Salad with Lemon and Oregano on hand will help take the guesswork (and stress) out of planning all those meals. It can be made ahead and enjoyed over several days.
This starts with orecchiette pasta, which are adorable hat-shaped pasta pieces. Broccoli, carrots and red onions add color and flair to the dish — plus some nutrients. And the tangy lemon oregano vinaigrette pulls it all together.
Once you’ve made this pasta salad, you could eat it immediately but it only gets better with a little time. Chill it until you are ready to eat.
But don’t just take my word for it. Try it. This Orecchiette Pasta Salad with Lemon and Oregano will capture your tastebuds, and make you glad to have it on hand.
- ½ lb orecchiette pasta
- ¾ cup frozen broccoli cuts
- ½ cup julienne-cut carrots
- ¼ cup diced red onions
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the orecchiette pasta according to package directions. When the pasta is about 4 minutes away from completion, stir in the frozen broccoli and continue cooking. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the carrots and red onions. Add the pasta and broccoli and stir well to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, honey, garlic and oregano. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour over the pasta mixture and toss well to combine.
- Enjoy hot or chilled.