Of course I knew it was a school day for Will the other day, but I felt like there was still plenty of time before the rush and routine of getting ready to go. I was sitting on the couch, Will on my lap, watching something forgettable when it struck me: It was nearing noon and he needed to eat lunch and be out the door. Paige was still napping peacefully. I just didn’t realize we were running late until we were.
So off to the kitchen I went.
Knowing I only had minutes to cook and feed him, I needed something that would cook in no time and would taste so good that he’d eat it quickly. That’s why I took a chicken breast and cut it into two thin cutlets. Olive oil swirled into the pan to heat. Salt and pepper were sprinkled liberally on the chicken. It wasn’t until the chicken was cooking in the large stainless steel skillet that I decided to add some salsa to the mix. And cheese, because everything is better with cheese.
It was ready in just minutes.
And yes, he gobbled it down as anticipated.
- 1 tbsp olive oil (I prefer extra light for this)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken
- 6 tbsp salsa, divided
- 6 tbsp extra sharp cheddar, divided
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Wash the chicken and slice into two thin cutlets. Salt and pepper liberally.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook for about three minutes on each side until cooked through. Place 1 tbsp of salsa on each piece and spread it along the length of the chicken. Cover and cook for one minute.
- Remove the cover and sprinkle each chicken piece with 1 tbsp cheddar cheese. Cook and cook for one additional minute.
- As pictured: Served with avocado cream. To make: peel one avocado and remove pit. Place in a food processor. Add 1 tbsp lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Puree. Serves 2.
- Alternative suggestions: You can also serve this over rice or on a roll as a sandwich.
© Sarah W. Caron and Sarah's Cucina Bella, 2005-2012.
Category: dinner, Poultry, Quick and Easy Recipes, Recipes