Soft with an indent filled with sweet jelly. Thumbprint cookies are such a treat. These, scented with cinnamon, are the best jelly thumbprint cookies ever.
When I was in middle school, baking cookies became my thing. Chocolate chip cookies were a favorite. Sometimes peanut butter cookies. But sweet, cinnamon-scented cookies with jelly in the middle were really my jam. (See what I did there?) I made them all the time.
As I’ve gotten older, I’ve made these cookies less and less often. But when I do, I am reminded of so many things: childhood, learning to bake, growing up and — perhaps most importantly — how much I love these cookies.
Clearly, I don’t make them often enough.
What makes a good Jelly Thumbprint Cookies recipe? It needs to be a soft but firm cookie that holds its shape well when baked. And it needs to hold that jelly well. This one is all of those things.
The dough for these cookies comes together easily in a stand mixer but you can use a handmixer too. Once made, I use a cookie scoop to scoop out balls of dough. Then I press my thumb into the center of each cookie before filling the indent with jam, jelly or preserves. In this case, I used blueberry jam. But any flavor that you like will work.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- jelly, jam or fruit preserves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and eggs. Add vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Mix on low as you slowly add the flour spoonful by spoonful.
- Using a cookie scoop (about 1 tbsp size), scoop out dough and place on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment.
- Dip your thumb into flour, then press into a ball. Repeat until all the cookies have thumbprints in the center. Fill the hole with your choice of jelly, jam or preserve.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown around the edges and on the bottom.
- Let cool on wire racks.
Serving size is 3 cookies.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of four cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to a tween and a teen, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.