Cauliflower florets are roasted to tender then smothered in cheddar cheese and roasted some more in this recipe for Easy Roasted Cheddar Cauliflower. It’s a delightful combination that reminds me of childhood.
Whenever I start to talk about my kids’ eating habits, I pause to admit how lucky I am. They aren’t picky. Heck, they eat almost everything and will try anything once. I know I am lucky — and I know that other parents aren’t so lucky.
And why do I know that?
Of course, I have heard the stories from others. The kids who eat only white foods or only peanut butter or whatever. But that’s not all.
I was a bit of a picky eater myself when I was a kid. While I eat almost everything now, back then I was anti-veggies. Frankly, I really wasn’t particularly fond of broccoli. Or cauliflower. Or green beans, peas, lima beans, corn … you get the idea.
But my uncle Hugo? He was a wonderful cook and wanted me to learn to love my veggies. So, instead of just accepting that I probably would only take a nibble or two of any given vegetable at family dinners, he devised a plan: Lure me into eating my broccoli and cauliflower with the addition of a creamy cheese sauce.
I ate copious amounts of veggies just to have more of that fabulous sauce. And eventually, I just liked the veggies themselves too.
This recipe for Easy Roasted Cheddar Cauliflower reminds me of the veggies Hugo used to make for my benefit.
Cauliflower is cut into florets and then roasted to tender. Then it’s smothered in cheddar cheese and roasted some more.
The cheddar melts all over the cauliflower, lending a wonderful, sharp but creaminess to the tender pieces. It’s delicious, and what kid can resist this much cheese?
- 1 head cauliflower, , rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil.
- Cut the florets from the cauliflower head and arrange on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Slide the cauliflower into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, until tender. Be sure to stir once about halfway through.
- Once the cauliflower is tender, pull it out of the oven and sprinkle with the cheddar cheese. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.