Succulent and rich, Garlic Ginger Roasted Butternut Squash is a side dish perfect for enjoying alongside your favorite protein and rice this autumn.
And just like that, winter arrived.
It hasn’t snowed here in Maine yet — at least not where I live. But you can feel it coming. It’s in the chill that greeted us this morning when we emerged from the house. It’s in the cold night air that has me wishing I’d remembered to buy a blanket for my bed — the new quilt, lovely and pristine, will need an added layer to be warm enough for winters here. And it’s in the grey skies and early sundowns.
Time to pack away the flip-flops and accept socks as a necessary evil — especially when headed to stroll around the outdoor farmers’ market that will continue weekly through the end of the month.
Butternut squash has been popping up at our local farmers’ markets lately, in a whole variety of sizes. This winter squash is among my favorites for its rich, slightly sweet flesh that is lovely in everything from soup to mashed dishes to salads to pastas and so much more.
In this roasted side dish, cubed butternut squash and shallots are combined with garlic, ginger, olive oil and salt and roasted until tender. Then it’s tossed with a little soy sauce before roasting for a bit longer. the result is a succulent side dish that’s lovely served alongside so many proteins and with rice. Try it with your favorite chicken breast recipe or salmon recipe or perhaps some shrimp.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 3/4 inch cubes)
- 2 shallots, peeled and cut into big chunks (about 8 chunks each)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the butternut squash, shallots, olive oil, ginger, garlic and salt until the squash and shallots are well coated with all the seasonings Spread onto a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven. Drizzle with soy sauce and stir well. Return to the oven and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Enjoy.